toad in the hole


about a year ago...i was at my friends shawn and dave's house...he was cooking for their kids and he did the most amazing thing with a piece of bread and an egg.  i have been making it ever since i saw dave make it...i love that you have an extra piece of toast to put jam on or salmon or have it plain...

ingredients/supplies:
-1 slice of ezekiel bread (or any bread that you prefer)
-1 egg
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
-a pinch of salt
-a frying pan, a cookie cutter or a biscuit cutter or a knife to cut a hole in the bread

prepping/cooking:




prep:
-cut a hole in the bread
-heat the frying pan over medium heat




cooking:
-add olive oil to pan when the pan is hot
-add the bread to the pan and flip the toasts quickly to oil both sides
-crack egg into the hole in the bread
-add a pinch of salt to the egg
-flip both toasts after about 2 mins or when the egg whites start to turn white in color




i love salad for breakfast so i served it over a spring mix tossed with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of champagne vinegar and a pinch of fleur de sel.  I decided to enjoy the toasted middle with smoked wild salmon, cream cheese, and capers...but...i often place a bit of jam on the toasted middle to have a touch of sweet in the morning...

enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is Eric's favorite! He made me learn how to cook it because he had it growing up... he calls it toast surprise or something. However, I do not have the little tool to carve it out so pretty! Looks beautiful with a salad, as I love salad in the morning too! Love!
    xo,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the fancy tool either, but my mama taught me to use a drinking glass to cut the hole for my toads. Its one of my favorite treats and of course you find some simple and brilliant way to brighten it up with that fresh salad and the salmon and cream cheese. So good Cat!

    ReplyDelete